Steve Sertis runs a "Bibbulmun Track Foundation" evening course called "Food In A Fuel Stove" and the recipes provided are excellent. The course comes highly recommended.
Food for 11 days plus one spare emergency day:
A snapshot of the items packed in one of my four food drops. 10kgs of weight which is around 900g per day.
- 6 x pkts Swiss Lowan Muesli - 120gms each (pre-mixed with Nestle Coffee-mate powdered milk).
- 6 x pkts Uncle Toby Oat Temptation fruit porridge.
- 1 x pkt 160gms Tang orange juice powder.
- 4 x cups of dried peas.
- 3 x servings of home made dehydrated sticky date pudding.
- 1 x Bolognese home made sauce dehydrated.
- 2 x Mystery meals - still don't remember what they were!
- 2 x pkts of two cups of rice dehydrated.
- 1 x pkt of 3 minute Pasta.
- 2 x Kangaroo meat (cut up high quality steak) and vegetable casserole home made and dehydrated.
- 1 x 140g TVP.
- 6 x Cup of Soups - lots of different flavours, but read the packet contents and compare.
- 2 x pkts of Safcol Tuna.
- 4 x pkts of Safcol Salmon.
- 2 x pkts of Chapati bread.
- 1 x pkt of Chow Mein noodles.
- 1 x plastic jar of Peanut Butter.
- 1 x plastic tube of Vegemite paste.
- 100g of raw sugar.
- 10 x Rooibos tea bags - South African tea..
- 7 x large teaspoons of coffee.
- 3 x bags of Couscous (not my favourite food).
- 1 x 200g pkt of Tang orange drink (includes glucose)
- 1 x dozen home dehydrated eggs.
- 1 pkt 60g of baking powder - to make damper for emergency bread.
- 2 x pkts providing 8 x serves of mashed potato.
- 1 x pkt consisting of 8 x cheese wedges.
- 1 x Coriander paste tube to put on Chapati bread and add to cooked food dishes. A heavy luxury.
- 2 x 100g of chocolate instant pudding.
- 140g of self raising flour - for making Damper bread.
- 1 x small bottle of rice bran oil.
- 1 x 175g bag of glucose powder.
- 3 x bags of trail mix - home made with seeds, nuts, raisins and M & M's (chocolate that does not melt easily).
- 1 x 160g pkt of custard powder.
- 1 x bag of dried carrots .
- Could have taken more TVP as it was very light and quite filling and was very good to add to pasta.
- 3 minute pasta comes in a variety of types and although bulky, is a fast to prepare and filling too. I often mixed it with a 100g of Safcol Premium Salmon packet, packed in silver foil pouch - long shelf life.
- Safcol Salmon in six different flavours and Safcol Tuna - an Adelaide based company. I could have lived daily eating from these packets, by mixing the fish (Omega 3) with lots of different foods, besides putting it on biscuits for lunch. Many walkers were using them and others wished they had bought them. More available in city stores, so take them with you..
- Chapati bread lasts for 6 months until you open it, then it survives for 3 or 4 days - longer if you pack it next to your water bag in the bottom of your backpack to keep it cool - mini fridge in Spring time, as the hut water from the tanks is very cold in the morning. Ideal sandwich wrap. Can be bought easily - comes in garlic and also potato flavours, or can be made with the linked receipt.
- Roobois Tea Ingredients: - Iron, zinc, copper, manganese, calcium, potassium, fluoride, sodium.
- When purchased it can last for 6 months unsealed and
- Used Glad Snap Lock resealable plastic bags (variety of sizes) to pack all food items and small clothing.
- Kangaroo meat dehydrated into Jerky strips (make you own) is the only meat to take on a strenuous walking journey. It can also me a good tasting evening meal when hungry - after re hydrating. See the meat comparison when it comes to Jerky. (slow loading Web site).
- Dehydrated eggs - - too much work dehydrating them but it was an interesting exercise and they tasted better than purchased ones.
- Damper bread is best made the day it is made.
- Rice bran oil for cooking - unfortunately the plastic bottle I packed it in leaked into the two snap lock plastic bags that it was packed in. I ended up getting a spray on oil to coat the aluminium billy before cooking. Bulky but light and did not leak!
- Home made Trail mix ideas. I made too much and the extra weight caused me to give a packet away.
12:Thoughts - Thoughts skipped through my mind, while my mind skipped through my thoughts. Steve Parish Original Affirmation v4
Site designed, created and managed by (WCA) - "Crossing the T's in Technology ConsulTing". Email your recommendations for this web site to the Webmaster. WesT CoasT AssisT (WCA) the niche channel management agency, providing technology channel consulting services in Perth, Western Australia. Copyright © 2008 All Rights Reserved. Last updated: